some of us are beginning to have concern over our futures.
Some of us have gotten jobs... mostly the MOE people
Others have gotten positions in banks, private firms and statutory boards
Others are just about to apply for other positions.
Then one thought flashed across my mind...
"So the end (of my education life) is not the end, its just a transition into another level."
Most of you will think so as well, after all, we should be learning till the day we lie in our graves or , as I for see myself, settle within an urn.
So I took some time off on Thursday and wondered into the wilderness, to reflect on the lessons I learnt in life... and Prof Savage came to mind. He was right, his teaching style is way different from most 'popular' lecturers and some would even find it pointless. But I kind of liked his style, though I know some of my classmates didn't really find his 'everything under the sun' lesson style particularly interesting.
Savage taught us the syllabus... and much more. In my opinion, he may not be the most effective lecturer... but he made an impact, an impact I believe would embrace me for life. It was his personal way of saying ... "the future is yours to mould but always remember the little, important lessons in life."
Life isn't about statistics, it isn't about cash, it isn't about living a comfortable life. It is about love. And as I continued to wonder... another question, often directed to me by others, came to mind... "Why do you choose to teach?".
I really cannot answer this question properly. But I do have an answer. I love to help others and I think teaching is the best way out. Prof Savage reaffirmed that thought in me. I used to believe he wasn't interested in lecturing in year 3, that was because of the inhuman vibes he gave me. But that changed after this semester. I really saw his lectures in a different light. And I thank him for that. Because, his views about education was not purely on grades... it was about life and how we should carry ourselves in society. In fact, if you ask me what I will remember for life from my year 4 lecturers... it would be this 3 thoughts below:
"Do not invest in property, invest in humanity."
- Carlos Santana -
"Education is about taking a stand, not perfecting the knowledge.
It is one about morals and not facts and figures."
- Prof Savage -
"If you want to plan for a year, grow rice
If you want to plan for 10 years, grow trees
If you want to plan for 100 years, teach the young"
- Confucius -
I really enjoyed the Thursday morning lessons and all the little chats we had about life. And as I start tweaking myself into an educator, I wouldn't aim to earn a higher pay, I wouldn't want to get recognized, I wouldn't want to be someone who is know as the 'best'. All I would love to be is someone who loved sharing his life to another ... sharing lessons about the little things in life. Lessons we call love.
No comments:
Post a Comment